Friday, April 20, 2012

back when I walked

back when I used to walk A LOT and when I used to have hair
I just finished a good workout today and I just got a little introspective afterward, regarding my progress. I did .73 of a mile on the treadmill, that's the most that I've done on the treadmill. I used to walk all of the time, I grew up a few miles from Manhattan so walking was a way of life, especially if you didn't have a car. I would go into Manhattan sometimes via the path train and would walk from the 9th street station and just walk, usually uptown toward Central Park. I miss those days but that was what I could do in my teens and twenties. At thirty three I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis, in the two years since I've done physical therapy and regular workouts. To maintain a positive outlook I've made a conscious effort to not mourn what I couldn't do anymore, I look back on all the walking I used to do fondly and I have to remember that next week is my thirty sixth birthday and although I can never return to those marathon-like ultra walks through the Hudson County and Manhattan areas I can continue to work within my ability. Since I have a drop foot I tend to not crank the treadmill so I don't fall or get fatigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment