Thursday, May 10, 2012

Disabled in the Kingdom


not exactly like the Disney scooter but close enough
My wife and I decided to to accept an invitation to accompany some friends to the Walt Disney theme parks. I have visited the parks ( Magic Kingdom & Epcot ) twice before but I hadn't been to the parks since I became disabled. I knew little of what was in store, I had an inkling that I would be using a mobility scooter, costly as it was it was a life saver. As I have mentioned here before I have always had a love of walking around and sometimes just walking endlessly, Disney without a scooter would have been my undoing so I'm really glad that we went ahead and got it. Along with the scooter I also signed up for a guest assistance card in order to circumvent the long lines, having Multiple sclerosis I am sensitive to prolonged heat. Most rides entrances cannot accommodate the size of the scooter so plan accordingly, thankfully there are plenty of areas to park the scooters and luckily my cane came in handy to help me mosey to and from the scooter.

I have to say that I am impressed with the care that I received from the cast members, and for the most part my fellow guests were accommodating as well (most people see a big guy in a scooter and assume he's just being lazy, I think having my cane and AFO helped). Being disabled shouldn't stop anyone's fun, I am glad that the Disney Corp is so accommodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment